We know we can grow bicycling statewide—we’ve already done it! For 25 years the Bicycle Alliance of Washington—the state’s first bike organization founded specifically with a mission focused on advocacy—has led the charge to shape statewide policies to make riding a bike in Washington more convenient, safe, and enjoyable whether you’re 8 or 80.
Today we continue to fulfill that mission by working hard in advocacy, outreach, and education:
- Legislation and Statewide Issues: We represent you in Olympia, introduce bills and shepherd them through the process, stay in close contact with state agencies to improve bicycling access and infrastructure, and work on issues around the state that affect your right to ride.
- Safe Routes to School: Nearly a decade ago we worked with a legislative champion (now-Sen. Ed Murray, Seattle) to create state-level funding for Safe Routes to School. Over the years we’ve provided hands-on training to teachers in over 30 districts around the state, through them reaching well over 21,000 school kids with curriculum designed to help them ride with confidence and follow the rules.
- Go By Bike: We teach a bicycling safety program in four community colleges, with plans to grow it around the state. Want to bring it to your college or university? Contact Josh Miller.
- Share the Road: This fundamental principle of traffic—that bicyclists, drivers, and pedestrians all have rights and responsibilities—is embodied on the Share the Road license plate. Your purchase of this plate supports the work of the Bicycle Alliance statewide. If you’re interested in having Share the Road educational and safety information at your event, contact Louise McGrody.
- Hub and Spoke: Bicycle Alliance staff, volunteers, and board members meet with bicycle advocates around the state. Whether we bring a full workshop or attend a local event, we want to connect throughout the state to learn about and work on whatever it takes to grow bicycling in your community.
- Resources: The Bicycle Alliance of Washington is the #1 source of bicycling information for the state: bicycle clubs in Washington, state laws related to cycling, bicycle maps, local bicycle advisory boards, bicycle blogs, and much more. If you don’t see it on the page, tell us and we’ll add it!
- Washington Bike Laws: Links to Washington state laws on bicycling, a list of bike helmet laws by jurisdiction, information on what to do if you are involved in a collision, and more.
- Biking Statewide: Here we help you connect with other riders and bicycling-related activities in your area, with links to local bike resource organized by location around the state of Washington.